Sep 26, 2008

THE CLOSEST THING TO A DIGITAL 4 x 5 : THE CAMBO

Being unemployed gives me a lot of time to think about my photography, as I can't afford to actually go on a proper shoot at the moment.

Every day during breakfast, I leaf through the Calumet catalog that has not made it's way into the recycling. In the newest one was this beautiful instrument:



So, my birthday is in November. If any of you are wondering what to get me, you can get me this camera. And some lenses.

This is the closest thing I have seen to a digital large format camera. The design looks great. I do appreciate the vigour and suffering of traveling with 30 film holders, lugging them from shoot to shoot, and huddling in a yucky hotel room with my arms in the changing tent, loading and unloading film. This camera would probably save me a lot of time---and that would be amazing.

No comments: